Wednesday, April 29, 2009

oh the many treasures.....
















It's amazing how the tiniest of treasures can fill my heart. These are a few of the wonderful things I found over the weekend. We attended one of our favorite fleas over the weekend and this one is not for the faint of heart. It is down right dirty.....That is what makes it so cool...It doesn't matter who you are if you can deal, it will be a deal...


Hands down it is my favorite market to attend and we have gone to alot of them.

This year I spotted a bench the day we arrived and the man wouldn't not deal. This bench was plain and simple. Not even a "No Thanks" He wanted $75 I offered him $60...rather than come back with what he would have liked . Not even anything....I let it sit....and when the weekend came to an end guess who was packing it up...HIM...I will not buy anything from anyone rude...It may be the ONE...but so help me it will sit. Before I pass off the cash to a crabby man. The thing is he is the same every year...and every year he packs it up and is taking it all home. Even on the last day he was keeping it...I am a little sad I really wanted that great piece of junk..


We have been selling there since I was in diapers....It is a place to be easy going, firm on a price is ok, but have fun with it.. It is all about the hunt and the hobby of the things you love.

I can remember a story told often about a year my Grandpa ( a stubborn old man). He had a large number of things for sale. My Grandpa was an antique gas engine man. He had an oil can on the trailer for a steam engine. Now days the can would be worth a great deal to the right person. Then it was worth about $30- I am sure Grandpa had a ton of them. Guy asked sarcastically how much for the oil can Grandpa said $2.50.....The old man snickered and boldly stated he'd only give him 50 cents...wasn't worth anymore than that. ha! Well the old man wouldn't let it go...sooooooooo. Grandpa took a hammer, smashing this oil can to a crumpled mess.
"There, now it worth 50 cents............"
Needless to say it wasn't the last time he did that, I guess. In the end it pays to be respectful and thank you very much. You may not end up with your dreamy junk....
Although I walked away from the bench I am easily remind that it is his treasured junk, not mine yet!! I only wish he would smile once in awhile over the years.....

Lesson is one mans junk is very valuable to him. The idea is to find the one person who also believes that his junk does have the value. It only takes one person, one piece of junk.

I love the hunt for junk.....-L.