Thursday, April 9, 2009

collections.......









I love my stuff.....
I love to surround myself with the things that make me,
happy and comfy.

When we first started out with our house, everything was a hand-me-down. Of sorts....I would want a new this or that. For awhile we bought new things..

Before long all the new was gone. The things that still remained were the old.Funny how that worked here....Even now people will come to visit our little old house, I watch their eyes. Some will roll. some will wonder, some will admire.
At first it was important to have things....then....not so much.....
I tend to always go back to the old. It is what makes me feel good.
I really love to use things in ways that wasn't its intention.

Years ago we had a gathering for my employees and their significant others.

There was this guy there who was driving me crazy, he went around my house touching
everything!! At the time it irritated me to no end, funny still kinda does. He would come out of a room with something and find me in the group, asking what was it and what was it used for. "That is sooooo cool" If you could only have seen how excited this boy got after a few cocktails..( I am so rolling my eyes)

I haven't forgotten him, but it got me to thinking. Every once in awhile when I find a treasure,

I laugh and think of how this or that would certainly puzzle that poor guy..
I finally got over having to have what everyone else had or was doing.
In our world bigger is always better. It surely must be new new new....
Frankly to me not everything good is bigger and definitely not new.

You just watch in 50 years the house remodels will offer a touch of character to homes and maybe they'll even downsize a little bit. I guess in the end I love my collections. I love how coming home makes me feel. I love how to me everything I am surrounded with has bones. Has its own story, it comes to live here with a history. It all has something to talk about..

I love how my studio comes alive with me. My studio inspires me. The space was storage, and then became a blank slate. My dear sweet husband worked day and night and I got just what I wanted. My space is made of things filled with my passion. It is always changing and growing. At first I wanted to go with all new cupboards, etc.. I love every ones space, but for me it wasn't who I am. To do it over I would have asked to have it bigger. HeHeHe...
Okay so sometimes bigger is better....
Well now I have rambled on about what I love about my space and things.. Take a minute look around you, smile and be grateful. The things that surround you are YOU...if they are not then maybe you change that. Let your things be you..be what you are about...not what the lastest trend is. Why, not you be the trend?
-L.