Wednesday, February 23, 2011

days gone by....


dreaming of days gone by.....I woke this morning trying so hard to touch and smell the dream I was floating in.

I walked in the backdoor of my Gramma's house and as I looked up at her, I realized I was small again. She greets me with a hug and waits to see if I remembered my verse for Sunday school that day..She seemed pleased and moves quickly back to her business in the kitchen.

Today I am especially lucky because the laundry is going and she has been ironing. Oh how wonderful the house smells. The oven is full of baked goodness and on the stove top waits lunch. I could only hope that we are staying for dinner. It looks like fried chicken...but right now I smell something divine and fresh coffee.

The dinning room is already full of life my aunts are laughing and passing around magazines. One is sewing and another is knitting. Their chatter is almost overwhelming. I want them to slow down and breathe in this moment with me. It's Gramma's she is here!!I see her apron and she keeps moving in the kitchen. Her little dog is eating and not overly happy we are here.

Look she made us chocolate milk (old school) nothing is more delicious.

She never comes to sit with us, she is just busy cooking and shuffling throughout the kitchen. I heard the pans and her laughter as she chimes in the conversation. I only wish I knew what they were talking about.

I wake only wanting her to come in the dining room with us, I can feel her with me, I can seeing her moving, I can smell her. It's not enough, I want to embrace her and I want her to stop for just a moment and tell me something, everything....I want to hold her tight and never let go of the moment. I want her to know I remembered my verse, today.

Missing Gramma....