Tuesday, June 1, 2010

life's resilience....
















life's resilience.... It's all about the Grackles!!!

Friday afternoon we made our way to our backyard...only to find this little guy....
This baby Grackle fell from our pines at least 40 or 50 feet.

To imagine the amount of things he must have hit coming down, because we can't even see the nest he fell from. We can only hear them in the other nest. Poor thing...

Okay so rewind, just a little bit. I love to bird watch, feed my birds, and listen to them flit and sing among my yard. I don't love grackles- it's a fact, so all you grackle lovers I apologize and we will agree to disagree. They poop everywhere and they eat everything (EVERYTHING!!) and they are plain mean, mean, mean. Finally their song is not pretty. I say if they have something to say you'd think it could at least be pretty.

Time comes, the bird out of the nest. Mama bird is down on the ground feeding him, he is too small to fly. Mr C. arrives and looks at me puzzled. "You want me to do what?" I want you to save him. I want you grab your gloves, and climb in one of our other trees, get down the nest of a robin who abandoned hers, put it in this feeder I hung under the tree where it fell. Okay now make it cozie. " Cozie?" I got the roll of the eyes. Then he carefully placed the baby bird in the nest. Shrugged his shoulders and says in his loving tone, "Anything for you honey", and then he states she'll never return, we handled him. Well not only did she return she fed him like crazy, she rearranged the nest and kept it clean. Life is amazing.
Mother bird fed and cared for 2 nests. Way wonderful.

We enjoyed watching this family for 4 days. We see her feeding him and I'd make my family admire this every time. They would smile and shake their heads. Mr C. then reminds me of my dislike for the grackles, and talks of natures way. I simply smiled and stated that for every one time someone gets involved it could change the course. Karma.
Although I may not be a fan of the blackbird it was her baby, her family she worked so hard to care for.
STAY WITH ME THERE'S MORE.......
So come Monday I think we should take a few more photos. Mr C. is tall and he can get a camera up there. Right? Well bird jumps out......so here we are again bird on the ground. Oh for crying out loud. Maybe he was right and he belongs on the ground. Get the gloves! Can't catch him. Get the butterfly net! Mr C. is seen chasing this baby bird around the yard. Okay! Caught him!
Back into the nest. Safe and sound. Mama still returns to feed him! I know...what your saying leave well enough alone.
I can't, I got to try. We go about the day and enjoying the bird safe and sound in the feeder.
We leave to visit the cemetery, arrive home about 1 hour later and he is gone.

Just like that he's gone. This little bird fell into our lives on Friday and left me on Monday. Not even a goodbye. I can't tell what happened to him, but I am sad and lonely for this crazy little bird.

Mr C. reminds me that he will return and eat all my food and poop everywhere. I tell him no, that this bird will be the one to change the way of the grackle. I got to believe, that good will have come from it. I believe he will return and sing a sweet tune just for my yard.
Girl's got to dream and hope, I made a difference.

I say farewell little grackle, may your song ring sweet and may your poop fall across the road.
Just trying to be neighborly.

Life is strong. I was in a yoga class the other day and the instructor stated "LGO" life goes on...so true......
-L.