Thursday, June 18, 2009

God's creatures.......

Sooooo, what wanders in your yard?......

Yesterday this little guy fell out of a tree........isn't he adorable? Unfortunately like everything else that wanders in my yard no one lets me keep the creatures big or small...cute or adorable...
Today I am sad...I would have named him and loved him and let him go.....Growing up on the farm we took in eveything and each had a name...so the farmgirl in me wanted to love and care for this one..of course the men in my life decided otherwise.

When we moved to this little town I like to call Mayberry America...I never thought so many creatures would come our way...We lived out on the edge and have a RR address and in our 10 years a new development has come and we are no longer the last of the edge. We even have curb and gutter now, no more ditches. However we still can see the farm from our front door and the urban sprawl has built up around them. Sadly so. I use to look at fields in my front window and backyard. Now I have a beautiful park in my front yard and neighbors in the back.

When we first moved here it was middle ground for us, both of us on the road each day different directions and working long hours with a dog and no kids. We were barely here and it was temporary, life decided otherwise and we are still in this house and no longer on the edge of town. We now have a street address and running water, hahahaha. You get the point. We have been here much longer than ever thought.

Even though the town has truly come to us, it doesn't stop the many creatures that cross my yard. Early one morning my hubby wakes and states he hears an elephant in the yard! Okay sweetie go back to sleep....then it happens again, that sound like no other, an ELEPHANT in the yard........then a rooster decides to cockledoodledoooo........ No lie when we looked outside there he stood plain as day the biggest elephant I have ever seen. A circus came to town and of course because we were never home we had no idea........

Since that day we have had cattle, chickens, wild turkeys, deer, cats, dogs, geese, ducks in the tree, raccoons, skunks, rare owls, and a random adult. Not another elephant has been here and I can only hope that maybe someday he'll return. When he does I'll name him and keep him forever. And hug him and squeeze him tight....

For today all I can do is wait for another creature to come my way....I hope he's cute and I'll love him forever.

-L.