Tuesday, December 15, 2009

believe.....


I wanted to share one more photo of a "full" spot on the Charlie Brown tree. Or as one little boy calls it my "ugly tree". Oh now, have faith and believe, someday he'll see the beauty in it, he's only 3.

I love the tree it sits in all it's glory in the front room in a 2gal crock filled with sand and rocks from the shoreline. It is covered in one string of lights and my vintage ornaments gathered from all my favorite places. A couple of the ornaments came from a Great Aunt, in my case that's some old ornaments!!
My favorite thing about the tree, aside from the $4.99 price is how the top isn't even straight but it holds the topper up just fine.
"Charlie" ( as I love to call him) knows it is a beautiful tree and it is proud to have a place to call home. He has less than 2o branches and some of those don't count. One side is bare, which works out great it fits next to the window better that way.

When we were purchasing this lovely little tree ,the lady behind me humored me by stating "what a sweet LITTLE sparse tree" Did it really come from here? the place where only the wealthy trees stand. Yes, it does come from here and isn't it lovely. Our brief encounter ended with "My family always needs 2, 9 ft trees, we have very tall ceilings you see." As we move to pay she then breathes a moment of relief to see we also have a real tree... Boy I am so glad I didn't let her down, in her coat valued at more than I make in a week and her car worth more than my house. I hope she came to the conclusion that I don't live in a mud hut with very low ceilings.

In this world if it isn't big or comes with a price tag, you must talk of then it, must not measure up. I think same goes for everything these days. Whether it be the car you drive or the house you keep. If it isn't big, than what is it....just an ugly tree...
As a child we didn't have much and some years were better than others. I think that even if we had been wealthy, my brother and I probably wouldn't have known it. My family wasn't and still isn't about the "flash" of money. One year things were so tight I can remember we cut a random tree from our woods. It was a pine tree of some sort, not a fat evergreen tree. Certainly not a Christmas tree. Honestly, I am sure there may of been something still living in it, and at the time I can remember thinking it was the pits. Not to have a "real" tree. It was simple and plain.

A few years ago, when Belle was a baby I purchased an artificial tree. Which, I love and think is beautiful. But I bought that tree for only one reason.....that no matter what there would always be a tree... that's what I tell myself...I must admit, it is, in the attic this year. I have to ask myself when did I decide it was so important to have a certain kind of tree, one that rests in the attic in the box. I'm sure that the world thought I needed that tree.

Last year my Dad appeared on my door with a pitiful little tree, found in the woods sure to die in the winter. I lovingly decorated it, for the front stoop, stuck it in a crock. That was one of my favorite trees ever, 3 feet tall and full of attitude. All I could think of was the year of the pine tree. Isn't funny how life comes full circle. And how what we thought wasn't good enough is what we seek the most. Simple.

Simple.

Don't get me wrong, the bigger the better I some times say. I too will someday live a great big house. With very tiny ugly trees...
_L.